Monday, October 24, 2011

#15 TSL Response: Chapter 4

          When I read chapter 4, I might have misinterpreted it a bit.  After reading a short summary of it online, I understood the one part I mistook at first.  Despite that, I do think that this chapter was an easy read.  I thought that Robert Chillingworth was sent to prison with Hester Prynne.  However, I later found out that this was not the case. He was there as a doctor, to check up on Hester.  In the prison, they spoke to each other about their marriage.  He felt that they have wronged each other.  Although Hester felt bad, I could tell that she wasn't completely sorry for what she had done.  He expresses that when he needed company in his lonely room, he longed to kindle a fire, but he did not have the guts to betray Hester like that.  He was wrong to marry such a young beauty, who was bound to do so to him.  For some reason, I felt as though Robert was lying to Hester, but then I wonder for what reason would he do that.  By the end of the chapter, the doctor declares that he is going to avenge her lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment