Thursday, October 27, 2011

#16 News Log: Health and Fitness

  
      Recent studies have shown that teens who lack a sufficient amount of sleep are prone to gaining weight, boys in particular.  108 male and 147 female students at a Texas high school were surveyed; results show that males sleep for an average of 6 hours and 32 minutes, while females for 6 hours and 30 minutes during the school week, and on the weekends, approximately an additional 3 hours for each--an average of 9 hours and 10 minutes for males and 9 hours and 22 minutes for females.  Also included in this study was their body mass index (BMI), which takes into account a person's height and weight.  Investigators found that for males who slept 7 hours or less on weekdays had a 3.8% higher BMI than for those who slept more than 7 hours, and a 4.7% higher BMI for females who slept 7 hours or less on weekdays than for those who slept more than 7 hours.  Author Lata Casturi notes, "Sleep is food for the brain. When teens do not get enough sleep, they fall asleep in class, struggle to concentrate, look and feel stressed, get sick more often, and do not meet their obligations due to tiredness."  She also adds that teens who sleep less than 8 hours have higher risks of obesity because they consume more calories throughout the day.  Researchers may have not concluded their studies, however, they did find that lack of sleep causes a decrease in leptin, which is a hormone that tells the brain you are full, rather it increases ghrelin, which is a hormone that stimulates appetite.  Sex-related differences may be due to each sex's growth patterns and metabolism.
      As a student lacking a sufficient amount of sleep during the week, I can definitely understand how these studies are helpful for students to understand what they are putting themselves through.  I am always trying to keep watch of the things that I eat, and make sure I am eating healthy.  Therefore, reading this article makes me want to sleep early every night--not only because of weight gain, however, also because I would like to perform to the best of my ability in school.  When I read the quote by the author, I put myself in the situation and realize how much more stress I cause myself.  Also, I just recently got sick; I figured it was from stress and lack of sleep!

Lack of Sleep = Weight Gain

No comments:

Post a Comment