Friday, February 17, 2012

#11 Insult or Honor?

     I think this problem has been taken too far.  Being called an Indian was never a degrading term, therefore, I don't see why any Native American should feel disrespected.  Although I am not the biggest Indians fanatic in our school, I am still a proud member and I would never want our mascot to change.  It has now become a part of Valley culture, and other schools for that matter, and I don't think it would be right to force a school to change their mascot all of a sudden.  I feel that everybody is looking to start trouble these days when there is really nothing worth being troubled over.  If I were to put myself in a Native American's shoes, the only reason that I might find an Indian mascot demeaning is because of the way students portray Indians.  However, I don't think that students are mocking Indians, rather we are glorifying what it means to be one--strong, team player, and brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment