Thursday, February 9, 2012

#7 News Log: Exercise

     Studies have shown that many runners have different patterns when they run, often being the cause of their injuries.  Members from the Harvard University were interested in finding out where their pains emerge from.  From their studies, they have concluded that people's running forms have a huge impact on their distressing bone and muscle injuries.  When runners take strides from heel to toe, they are more likely to have soreness in their legs.  If runners decide to change their strides, they must slowly do so.  Sudden changes can cause tears in different areas of the foot.  Running barefoot is especially harmful and can cause major injuries.
     I am not really a runner, but I did run track last year.  I noticed about a few weeks into the season that my shins and feet began to hurt.  I believe this had to do with either my sneakers or my form when I was running.  I ended up keeping the sneakers I already had because there wasn't much of the season left.  However, I still notice pain in my feet sometimes when I am walking, and often in my shins when I am running.  I guess something that I thought was so minor has made a great impact in my life.

Source: Does Foot Form Explain Running Injuries?

No comments:

Post a Comment